WINDOWS - How to extract messages.db
In order to extract the required WhatsApp archive messages.db you need to unlock your Windows Phone, because the standard WhatsApp backup (on SD or OneDrive) is encrypted.
Requirements: any Windows Phone with Windows 10, excluding x50 (like 550,950/XL)
Below the steps to get down to this:
- enable Developer mode from your phone's settings (Settings -> For developers)
- from your PC download Interop Tools L from this link - unzip then copy to Windows Phone through USB
- on your Windows Phone tap InteropTools_188.8.131.52.appxbundle and all the files into the Dependencies/ARM folder then reboot
- start Interop Tools and choose "Interop unlock"
- enable NDTKSvc and reboot
- unlock the phone with "Full Filesystem Access" and reboot - on some phone the "New Capability Engine Unlock" needs to be switched too
Now you can attach the phone to your PC or MAC and copy the messages.db file from the following (alternative) location to the WinWazzapMigrator or Download folder on the Android device.
NB: after unlock, if you can't see the phone anymore, please make sure you're using Windows 10 on PC. Older Windows has issues with drivers. Also make sure to have all the latest available Windows 10 mobile updates.